Housing & Basic Needs
Who can I contact on campus?
The staff at your child’s school-
For families experiencing homelessness:
What qualifies me as homeless? How do I get help at Prairie?
If your family lives in any of the following situations, you may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act:
- A Homeless Shelter
- Doubled-up with other people
- Car, park, empty building or bus
- Motel or campground
Students have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin if that is your preference.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested.
- Received educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your child’s needs.