Grant Application Cover Sheet
Definition: Grant Writing is a formal application process to request monetary support from an organization other than the district or the Prairie Foundation. The request must exceed $500 and should be used to support the educational mission of the district.
A grant/program proposal must:
- Align with District Initiatives
- Align with current best practice research
- Address an identified, compelling need
- Enhance or enrich, rather than distract from, existing school resources
- Strongly support student learning
- Strengthen rather than weaken equal opportunities for all students
- Include provisions for key staff learning/training
- Sustain without additional district resources
- Include a clear, reasonable plan to account for funds
- Meet Federal or State requirements associated with the grant
Procedures for grant/program approval:
- Before submitting a grant, the teacher grant writer will:
- Consult the building principal for initial approval
- Review district policies related to material selection and compliance with grant expenditures
- Fill out the online cover sheet for grant/program requests which goes to Chief Financial Officer Angela Morrison.
- Grant/Program applications should not be sent to outside organizations before District approval.
- When an application is complete and has preliminary approval, a final copy shall be sent to Chief Financial Officer Angela Morrison.
- Establish a budget monitoring/record keeping structure by using this sheet as soon as the grant has been approved by the granting institution.
Grant/Program Recipient Responsibilities:
- Notify the Business Office that a grant/program has been funded prior to receiving the money. (All grants/program funds will be deposited into Miscellaneous Grant Revenue or the Principal’s Activity Account for your building unless required to be accounted for separately.)
- Monitor expenditures from the grant to ensure that all money is spent in accordance with grant requirements. All money must be spent in the same fiscal year in which the grant was received. The final balance in the account must be zero or less for the grant to be complete.
- Complete a Grant Report and Budget Sheet by April 30th. Email a completed form to Chief Financial Officer Angela Morrison (email@example.com).
Updated: August 2019